Tuesday, November 20, 2007

B Brewers take on Holiday Ale

To fill in the blanks of A Brewers memory, the mystery spice was ground cloves. Which, I hope we removed most of when we strained the chilled wort....

Now my formulation of this recipe was based on some experimentation with brewing a spiced tea(which I read was a recommended/necessary step in designing a spice formulation) Going into this with a confident attitude I thought that the Cardamom would give the strongest flavor and might overpower all the other flavors...being a fan of Chai, I though eh what the heck, it will probably be tolerable...so I added quite a bit of cardamom and an equal amount of cloves, cinnamon and a little all spice for good measure. Boy did I ever learn about cloves. You really come to know a spice when it invades everything you eat for the next day...

Needless to say I was careful with the amount of cloves in the "secret" spice formula :-)

Every time we brew I feel like we learn something new.

Lessons learned this time:

1) The hose carrying the wort out of the mash/lauter tun should be properly secured, if it does not stay in the collecting container, "Hey quick question..." is not an acceptable response to seeing delicious wort emptying out on the deck.

2) Throwing hops into boiling wort on high heat = massive boil over and recipe modification.

3) If you are filling up the fermenter with sanitizing solution with the water exiting the wort chiller, you should not leave the room.


A 48 hour update: Vigorous activity on the airlock

No comments: