Friday, November 16, 2007

Tasting the Belgian

So last night was the moment of truth. I couldn't wait any longer so I threw two bottles of the Belgian into the fridge. Granted it had only been four days since bottling, far too short a time to get a good idea of the quality of the beer, but I was impatient to see some results from our new recipe. There wasn't much head from the beer, whether that was because our fridge was too cold or just because it had only been carbonating for four days I have no idea. It was a bit on the dark side for a Belgian, closer to the color of a pale ale. Holding it up to the light it was extremely cloudy, a sure sign of a thick beer. Perhaps adding oats wasn't the best idea... In any case it tasted delicious. There was the classic underpinnings of the coriander with a slightly acidic tartness. I could definitely taste the orange AND that bitter orange peel flavor that was there when we bottled had gone away. In a word, Delicious (If I had any command of the english language I would put another word there so I stop describing it as delicious but I don't and I am too lazy to pick up a thesaurus). To get an unbiased opinion I gave a sample to my neighbor (lover of keystone... perhaps not so unbiased) and she called it a mouthful so perhaps in the future less oats (only used a half pound).
Anyway my kitchen is now stacked with cases of homebrew adding to the rich atmosphere of unwashed dishes and overflowing garbage can. The roomates are starting to get restless with the abundance of beer in the corner but hey, relax, have a homebrew.

No comments: